24 September 2016

ARC Review: Labyrinth Lost

Brooklyn Brujas: Labyrinth Lost | Zoraida Cordova
Published by: Sourcebooks FireSeptember 6th 2016
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Queer
Pages: 336
Format: Paperback
Source: Sourcebooks Fire, via Netgalley

Nothing says Happy Birthday like summoning the spirits of your dead relatives.

I fall to my knees. Shattered glass, melted candles and the outline of scorched feathers are all that surround me. Every single person who was in my house – my entire family — is gone.

Alex is a bruja, the most powerful witch in a generation…and she hates magic. At her Deathday celebration, Alex performs a spell to rid herself of her power. But it backfires. Her whole family vanishes into thin air, leaving her alone with Nova, a brujo boy she can’t trust. A boy whose intentions are as dark as the strange markings on his skin.

The only way to get her family back is to travel with Nova to Los Lagos, a land in-between, as dark as Limbo and as strange as Wonderland…

Beautiful Creatures meets Daughter of Smoke and Bone with an infusion of Latin American tradition in this highly original fantasy adventure.



Sorta what I expected, sorta not, but I really enjoyed it! Here are my thoughts:

- I really like Alex, love Nova, but I'm kinda ehhh about Rishi. I just didn't connect with her at all, which is such a disappointment because it's a f/f romance!

- I am CRAZY about the diversity in this book. It's such an authentic voice and it really shows in the writing and the passionate detail of this book. The main character is a queer WOC and so is her love interest!

-Nova is precious and I want to keep him forever. I'm SO here for his redemption arc!

- I loved the Deos, and Los Lagos was so cool and inventive - bird people! It's just really nice to read about a world and pantheon inspired by another culture than mine

- The magic was awesome, and totally witchy. I've found a new love for Brujas.

- I really, really think Alex's dad is a Deo. That's not really an opinion on the book. I just hope I'm right!

- Beautifully detailed and lovingly written. Alex is fierce and flawed and you'll love her!

Characters 
Setting/world 
Writing 

No comments:

Post a Comment