10 September 2016

ARC Review: Passenger

Passenger: Passenger | Alexandra Bracken
Published by: Quercus Children's BooksApril 7th 2016
Genre: YA, Historical, Science Fiction
Pages: 496
Format: Ebook
Source: Quercus, via Netgalley

In one devastating night, Etta Spencer loses everything she knows and loves. Thrust into an unfamiliar world by a stranger with a dangerous agenda, Etta is certain of only one thing: she has travelled not just miles but years from home.

Nicholas Carter is content with his life at sea, free from the Ironwoods - a powerful family in the Colonies - and the servitude he's known at their hands. But with the arrival of an unusual passenger on his ship comes the insistent pull of the past that he can't escape and the family that won't let him go. Now the Ironwoods are searching for a stolen object of untold value, one they believe only Etta, his passenger, can find.

Together, Etta and Nicholas embark on a perilous journey across centuries and continents, piecing together clues left behind by the traveller who will do anything to keep the object out of the Ironwoods' grasp. But as they get closer to their target, treacherous forces threaten to separate Etta not only from Nicholas but from her path home forever.
 
When I had a stalling first start with this after a bare 2 percent, I expected to not like it very much. Oh, how wrong I was. Because of my false start, it took me way longer to get around to reading this than it should have. And to think, I could have been falling in love with Etta and Nicholas months ago!

My issue with time travel is it doesn't feel natural in a lot of the books I've read, but that wasn't the case with this book. It was subtle and essential to the plot without overwhelming Etta's story and the emotional arc that flows through this whole book. Instead of getting hung up on specifics and practicality and science, I was able to root for Etta and admire her determination and love for her family, and fully appreciate her gradual feelings for Nicholas.

The world building in this is perfect, too. There's some magic in Alexandra Bracken's writing that made me feel as if I was in each of those setting and watching it happen myself, not just reading it. I loved the varied settings, how detailed they were, and how they were linked. I also loved the ship (obviously; this is me after all) and Nicholas's role on it. Nicholas's place in each era was carefully and honestly treated, with regards to his race, how people treated him, and how all that made him feel. I especially loved Etta punching a guy because of it. Exactly what I wanted to do.

To sum: emotional, driven, and packed with lush detail in every era and setting. I fell in love with everything (except the end.)

Characters 

Setting/world 
Writing 

No comments:

Post a Comment