8 October 2016

ARC Review: How It Feels To Fly

How It Feels To Fly | Kathryn Holmes
Published by: HarperTeenJune 14th 2016
Genre: YA, Contemporary, Mental Illness, Anxiety
Pages: 368
Format: Ebook
Source: HarperTeen, via Edelweiss

The movement is all that matters. 

For as long as Samantha can remember, she’s wanted to be a professional ballerina. She’s lived for perfect pirouettes, sky-high extensions, and soaring leaps across the stage. Then her body betrayed her.

The change was gradual. Stealthy.

Failed diets. Disapproving looks. Whispers behind her back. The result: crippling anxiety about her appearance, which threatens to crush her dancing dreams entirely. On her dance teacher’s recommendation, Sam is sent to a summer treatment camp for teen artists and athletes who are struggling with mental and emotional obstacles. If she can make progress, she’ll be allowed to attend a crucial ballet intensive. But when asked to open up about her deepest insecurities, secret behaviors, and paralyzing fears to complete strangers, Sam can’t cope. 

What I really need is a whole new body.

Sam forms an unlikely bond with Andrew, a former college football player who’s one of her camp counselors. As they grow closer, Andrew helps Sam see herself as he does—beautiful. But just as she starts to believe that there’s more between them than friendship, disappointing news from home sends her into a tailspin. With her future uncertain and her body against her, will Sam give in to the anxiety that imprisons her?



There were so many moments when I connected with this book, and it was totally unexpected. So, so happy I picked it up. Here are my thoughts:

- I can't imagine what it feels like for your own body to make your career impossible, or ruin any chance of your dreams coming true.

- I love Samantha, and felt everything she was going through. Her own bravery made me feel really motivated in myself.

- I ADORE the friends Sam made, and their strange relationships and interactions. They'd never be friends ordinarily, but I love how they came together.

- But I did feel icky about the 'romance'. It was really obvious where it was going and it made me so uncomfortable to read it.

- BUT I loved everything else!

- An uplifting, funny, inspiring, emotional book. I want to read it all over again.

Characters 
Setting/World 
Writing 

No comments:

Post a Comment